New Delhi: The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday approved the revision of pay scales for about eight lakh teachers and other academic staff in higher educational institutions under the University Grants Commission (UGC) and in centrally funded technical institutions.
10 key points about 7th Pay Commission you need to know
1. Justice A.K Mathur headed the Seventh Pay Commission, announcement of which was done on 4 February 2014.
2. Pay Commission was set up by Government of India to give recommendations regarding changes in salary structure of its employees.
3. Since India’s Independence, seven pay commissions have been set up on a regular basis to review and make recommendations on the work and pay structure of all civil and military divisions of the Government of India.
4. Headquartered in Delhi, the Commission was given 18 months from date of its constitution to make its recommendations
5. The Commission’s recommendation came into effect from January 1, 2016.
6. On 29 June 2016, Government accepted the recommendation of 7th Pay Commission Report with an increase in salary of 14 percent after six month of intense evaluation and successive discussions.
7. This includes over 47 lakh central government employees and 53 lakh pensioners, of which 14 lakh employees and 18 lakh pensioners are from the defense forces.
8. The new scales of pay provide for entry-level basic pay going up from Rs 7,000 per month to Rs 18,000, while at the highest level i.e. Secretary, it would go up from Rs 90,000 to Rs 2.5 lakh. For Class 1 officers, the starting salary will be Rs 56,100.
9. The recommendations benefited over 1 crore employees.
10. Pay bands:
Existing Pay Band (5200-20200)
(All numbers are in rupees)
Basic pay = 5200
Grade pay = 1800
Total entry pay = 7000
Dearness allowance: 125% on Basic pay and Grade pay = 8750
Total salary = 7000+ 8750+ allowances = 16750 + allowances
New salary ( as per 7th Pay Commission) = 18000 + allowances
Net difference = 1250
Employees fall under this pay band: Security guard, Junior Attendant, Driver etc.
Existing Pay Band (9300-34800)
Basic pay = 9300
Grade pay = 4200
Total entry pay =13500
Dearness allowance: 125% on Basic pay and Grade pay = 16875
Total salary = 13500+ 16875 + allowances = 30375 + allowances
New salary ( as per 7th Pay Commission) = 35400 + allowances
Net difference = 5025
Employees fall under this pay band: TGT Teacher, Pharmacist, Senior Security Inspector, Junior Engineer etc.
Existing Pay Band (15600-39100)
Basic pay = 15600
Grade pay = 5400
Total entry pay = 21000
Dearness allowance: 125% on Basic pay and Grade pay = 26250
Total salary = 21000+ 26250 + allowances = 47250 + allowances
New salary ( as per 7th Pay Commission) = 56100 + allowances
Net difference = 8850
Employees fall under this pay band: Medical Officer, Manager, Scientific Officer, Assistant Professor, Engineer etc.
Existing Pay Band (37400-67000)
Basic pay = 37400
Grade pay = 8700
Total entry pay = 46100
Dearness allowance: 125% on Basic pay and Grade pay = 57625
Total salary = 46100 + 57625 + allowances = 103725 + allowances
New salary ( as per 7th Pay Commission) = 118500 + allowances
Net difference = 14775
Employees fall under this pay band: Associate Professor